Tuesday, December 9, 2008

The Black Prince of Crecy

During this past summer, my family and I spent a few days in Savannah, Georgia. We love Savannah! With the tall oaks dripping with Spanish moss, square after square of restored mansions and homes, a sense of history and timelessness. While there, one of the many things we did was go to the Telfair Museum of Art. It is a wonderful art museum composed of three diverse sites - the original building, the Telfair Academy of Arts and Sciences, a National Historic Landmark building; the Owens-Thomas House, also a National Historic Landmark; and the Jepson Center for the Arts, a contemporary building which houses 20th- and 21st-century art.

As you know, I am a lover of all things art (with the possible exception of most modern art-yuck) and do my utmost to visit an art museum in whatever city I happen to find myself in, should a window of opportunity open. I feel that I have passed this love onto my girls, who also love art museums, especially Lauren. There is such a wonderful feel to an art museum. It is cool and quiet and gives you lots of time to reflect, ponder and think. It smells of ancient things, of people and times long gone. The feeling of history is palatable. I feel a true sense of peace and well being.

We started in the original building, the Telfair Academy of Arts and Sciences. It had many older pieces, many of them pertaining to old Savannah and local artists. Marvelous! At the back of museum, there is a very large room, both in depth, height and breadth. There is a huge dome sitting atop the room. There is such a sense of space in this room. It's walls are filled with very large canvases from various artists and time periods. It was truly breathtaking in scope.
But on one wall, hanging between heaven and earth, was a piece that made me stop in my tracks.

The Black Prince of Crecy.

I was absolutely captivated by it! It was huge- 11 feet high by 17 feet long! I was completely drawn into it. You can see for yourself the little picture at the top of the blog post but it in no way does it the justice it deserves. It was a visceral experience for me. I could feel the wind blowing the withers of the horse, the grass on the ground, the clouds in the air, the standard whipping. The blood seeping into the ground, the arrival of the carrion crows and vacant sheen of the horse's eye. It was as though I had just come upon this scene and stood there dumbstruck, unsure what to make of it.

In the middle stood the Black Price of Crecy. What was he thinking? Was he gloating over his vanquished foe, speaking words of victory and cursing the dead. Or was he silent on the field of victory, paying homage to a worthy king, a valiant foe in defeat. Maybe he, as the Black Prince, was just now feeling the weight of kingship slip onto his shoulders as he gazed down at his father, the White King. Feelings of loss, remorse for things unsaid, new-found authority pressing heavy on his breast. Oh, to be there and ask, "What are you thinking, my Liege?" I must have stood there for 20 minutes and gazed and thought and mused.

Sometimes I wish that I had been born in a different era, a time long past where there was a clearer demarcation between right and wrong, a greater sense of nobility and virtue, the greater cause to which we saddle up and march forth to battle.
My lovely Lauren, sensing how much I enjoyed this piece and wanting to preserve the moment for posterity's sake, purchased a mouse pad and 2 foot by 3 foot print as a Fathers Day gift for me. I was very surprised and grateful. Deep love expressed in tangible ways. It hangs on the wall in my office. I see it almost every day. Not only does it remind me of that special day last summer but speaks to me of virtue, responsibility and cause. I carry it's spirit with me, one of victory and hope, at great cost.

It reminds me of other battles I fight, in other, higher realms. Spiritual and unseen, it is more real that real life.

A Black Prince in the army of the King of Kings.

Traveler

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love art alot and i think u should visit boston and visit the MFA. its one of the best art museums i have ever been to. I just couldnt believe it. literally it took my breath away.

princess///reeves said...

u should visit the mfa in boston. one of the best art museums that i have ever been to. i love it. it was wonderful. it literally took my breath away.

foutfolk said...

You big, fat, art lover you!

What a wonderful way to spend time in a visiting city, and time with your family. I am glad that you have taken the time not only to look at art, but to enjoy what art does to you. Years ago when I was studying art, a professor of ceramics had a pivotal impact on my own art-making and art appreciation. In a nutshell, he taught me how to "see it for what it was" and not to look at it for what it is not. How that has changed my approach to making art and viewing art. What I enjoy about you is that you get "in" and allow the piece, being so far removed from you, to actually speak to you and affect you. I am sure the artist would have LOVED to read this post.

metanoia said...

Art, the ability to define your own reality and leave it to others to interpret.

I had the privilege of joining 200 others in a "private" viewing of Monet when his work was exhibited in Chicago.

It was only then, through a careful and gifted guide, that I caught a glimpse of what goes into a great piece of art.

The Black Prince conjures up all kinds of feelings. Good post Traveler. You captured my imagination with your musings.

Lauren W. said...

I love you daddy!

Bill said...

This is one of my favorite pieces. I saw it in Savannah in '99.

just a note about teh vnquished king depicted.

It is actually "Blind King John" of Bohemia. Not Edward's father. The blind king rode into battle with his horse tether to six knoghts as his personal bodyguard.

Edward, Prince of Wales later adopted John's motto "Ich Dien" (I serve) as the motto of his office!!!!

Stepan said...

I´ll tell you what the prince was probably thinking about. Before him laid the king of Bohemia John of Luxemburg, he was considered greatest knight of his era. He spent last 25 years of his life by fighting in almost every european war that occured in that time, from France to Italy, and even as far as Lithuania. In his time a saying appeared: No matter could be solved without the king of Bohemia. So when he appeared at Crecy, he was blind almost for a decade, he didnt enjoy life that much as before his blindness, his kingdom was secure, as his oldest son proved to be very capable, so he decided to die there at that field valiantly. Black prince saw that, and knew about his chivalry, so he probably looked at him with very deep respect, as the dead kong was his icon. He took his motto "I serve", led his body washed and sent in with all honors to Bohemia.